Saturday, October 6, 2007

Save the world: GO VEGETARIAN!

And again, a question from some one at school inspired me to write this piece. This time I was asked why I don't eat meat.

Actually, this always kinda pisses me off. To me the question should be reversed: why do YOU eat meat? Have you ever thought it over? Do you have any other arguments besides: "I like the taste of it." Probably you don't.

I made my mind up. For me the most ethical thing to do, is not to eat animals. Not because they are my friends, but because I think it is immoral.

Before animals become your food, there's a whole process of torture, bloodshed and murder necessary. Animals in small cages, getting beaten, treated in the worst ways you can imagine. That's no secret, is it? It's ignorant to think that's just okay.

Survival of the fittest? Humans have compassion, we can make choices, we can think. That's what differs us from animals. Do something with that! Be compassionate, think and make a difference!!! Every little bit helps.

When you don't need meat, there's a wide range of vegetarian products in western grocery stores that will enable you to participate in a environment friendly eating culture that not only helps to save animals, but also the world we live in.

The meat industry pollutes the environment in a alarming way. The UN reported that raising animals for food is "one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global. The findings of this report suggest that it should be a major policy focus when dealing with problems of land degradation, climate change and air pollution, water shortage and water pollution and loss of biodiversity. Livestock’s contribution to environmental problems is on a massive scale …" (1)

Yes, it is essential to save animals from the slaughter houses. But think of the impact it can have on the world around you and me, when more and more people decide to go vegetarian or vegan.

Start today!

1: H. Steinfeld, P. Gerber, T. Wassenaar, V. Castel, M. Rosales, and C. de Haan, “Livestock’s Long Shadow: Environmental Issues and Options,” Livestock, Environment and Development (2006).

No comments: